- 1 cup fresh-tasting dry roasted peanuts, unsalted
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, to taste
- 2 to 2.5 Tbsp. fish sauce – for vegetarians: substitute 2.5 to 3 Tbsp. regular soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. tamarind paste OR 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, OR 1 tsp. Thai chili sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend or process until sauce is smooth. If you prefer a runnier peanut sauce, add a little more water or coconut milk.
- Do a taste test, adding more fish sauce (or soy sauce) if not salty enough, or more cayenne if not spicy enough. If too salty, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice. If you’d prefer it sweeter, add a little more sugar.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with Chicken Satay, as a dip with fresh veggies, with fresh spring rolls, or other Asian finger foods. Or combine with noodles to create a Thai-style noodle dish or cold noodle salad. Enjoy!