When life gives you gross-looking, overly ripened bananas, you make amazing banana cake!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 – 8 inch round pans*. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the bananas. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and place on a damp tea towel to cool.
*I did this recipe without the nuts, and sprinkled brown sugar on top of the batter right before putting into the oven.
*If you don’t have a big pan, you could make banana cake muffins on a muffin tray (it’s easier to watch your portion sizes this way)!