This goes well with scones and as a filling for the blood orange curd filled beet donuts
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup blood orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 8 oz (16 tbsps) unsalted butter, cold, but into pieces
- zest of 2 blood oranges
- Place the egg yolks, sugar, lemon, blood orange juice, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over low heat, whisking constantly. Whisk until the curd thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.This takes a while and if you haven’t done it before, you might think something has gone wrong.
- Stir for about ten minutes over low heat. It will be liquid and then it will become foamy. Eventually the whole thing will seem to get foamy and light colored, but that is when it starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the cold butter into the curd a few pieces at a time until they are melted and all of the butter is incorporated. Whisk the zest in.
- Let cool and refrigerate. Makes about a pint.