- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 24 ounces cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple juice or cider
- 1 1/4 pounds firm apples (about 3 medium), peeled, cored, cut into cubes
- Combine the brown sugar, oats, flours, and salt in large bowl and toss to blend. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles crumbs. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 x 2-inch glass baking dish.
- Combine the cranberries, sugar, and apple juice in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often for about 2 minutes. Stir in the apples and cook until the cranberries are softened and their juices thicken slightly, about 4 minutes more. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and sprinkle on the topping.
- Bake until the filling bubbles thickly and the topping is brown, about 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.