This dessert is perfect for entertaining as it can be made up to 1 day in advance. Feel free to use decaf coffee – I use the real stuff as I have 3 young kids and there is no amount of coffee that can keep me awake once to heavy head hits my down pillow.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I’m sure half and half would work too, maybe )
- 1/2 cup espresso, or strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- In a medium sauce pan combine the cream and coffee and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Watch closely as cream boils over quickly and is a disaster to clean up – speaking from experience.
- In a small bowl combine the cornstarch, salt and sugar. Whisk to remove any and all lumps.
- Once cream and coffee are simmering add the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Boil gently for 1 minute. Pour hot pudding through a fine strainer to remove any little cornstarchy clumps.
- Pour into serving dishes then cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Sweet Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients and whisk until medium peaks form. Chill until ready to serve.